What is Economic Sociology? How are economies created and where do markets come from? What is embeddedness? How do politics, networks and culture matter? What are the institutions of political economy? and Why does capitalism differ among countries?
The Economic Sociology and Political Economy community was established to tackle these fundamental and fascinating questions, and we daily illuminate their particular angles and specific perspectives, benefiting from the cutting edge of scholarly knowledge in economic sociology and political economy. But sometimes bird’s eye view and comprehensive survey are needed.
This section will present State of the Art papers and review articles on basics ans trends in economic sociology. Therefore it could easily be an intellectual point of departure to delve into the socio-political studies of the economy while our community will competently and confidently serve you as a companion in this reflective journey.
- Dobbin, Frank. 2004. “The Sociological View of the Economy.” Pp. 1-46 in The New Economic Sociology: A Reader, edited by Frank Dobbin. Princeton University Press.
- Granovetter, Mark. 2002. “A Theoretical Agenda for Economic Sociology“. Pp. 35-59 in The New Economic Sociology: Developments in an Emerging Field, edited by Mauro Guillen, Randall Collins, Paula England and Marshall Meyer. Russell Sage Foundation.
- Guillen, Mauro, Randall Collins, Paula England and Marshall Meyer. 2002. “The Revival of Economic Sociology.” Pp. 1-32 in The New Economic Sociology: Developments in an Emerging Field, edited by Mauro Guillen, Randall Collins, Paula England and Marshall Meyer. Russell Sage Foundation.
- Smelser, Neil J. and Richard Swedberg. 2005. “Introducing Economic Sociology.” Pp. 3-25 in The Handbook of Economic Sociology, edited by Neil J. Smelser & Richard Swedberg. Princeton University Press.
- Swedberg, Richard. 1991. “Major Traditions of Economic Sociology.” Annual Review of Sociology 17: 251-276.
- Swedberg, Richard. 2003. “The Classics in Economic Sociology.” Pp. 1-31 in Principles of Economic Sociology. Princeton University Press.
- Talmud, Ilan. 2013. “Economic sociology.” Sociopedia.isa
(Sociopedia.isa is the International Sociological Association online journal)